Sunday, October 2, 2016

Post #121 Wonder Woman In The Silver Age

 photo ww header_zpsnjentbl7.jpg
I'd like to welcome those that have followed my Flash Comics Journal blog on the CGC Boards these past four years. I also invite new fans to join me in a retrospective breakdown of 'Wonder Woman In The Silver Age'.

I start with issue #86 (same month as Showcase #4) and chronicle thru #120, while visiting a few detours on the journey. It's not an easy trek. Up until the origin issue #98, reading these stories is tedious -- mindless gangsters (and aliens), childish fantasies, ww identity revealing seekers, all recycled to lesser effect. The three stories per issue format was out of gas. Bob Kanigher, whom I have great respect for as a writer, clearly was not putting the 'A' work out there. Nor was Peters, who I never cared for, with the art. But you do see glimpses of SA shift in attitude in the 1957 issues with stories such as the origin of WW eagle breasted costume. In another story, we learn how she got her jeweled tiara. Although which comes first is confusing. With the introduction of Ross Andru (Pencils) and Mike Esposito (Inks) in #98, Kanigher finds inspiration to help the title morphs into a true Silver Age Classic. I'm really enjoying reading this era for the first time.

I hope you enjoy following along with me as we explore Wonder Woman In The Silver Age!

No comments:

Post a Comment